Friday, August 12, 2011

Guidance for Punjabi Literature

 
My Purpose to write is to guide the aspirants regarding the resources for taking Punjabi Literature as an optional. Which books are to be followed and where they will be easily available to purchase. Regarding Punjabi Literature, I prepared it in 3 months time after prelims and before mains. It gave me 337 while chemistry for which I prepared for around 2 years gave only 299. This year also, people have got 350+ in Punjabi Literature. In fact, when you land up in Mussoorie, you will realize that literature of any language is very scoring. Many people take Tamil, Telgu, Urdu, Sanskrit  etc and clear the exam with good rank. Anyone who has passed 10th class in Punjabi medium or even studied it as a subject only can take it.
Note: While writing here, I have taken every care to write correctly Punjabi Language in English script. But I know there is no substitute for Gurmukhi script. So, pardon me, if any mistake comes.
Paper 1

Section A

This portion is highly scoring and is known as Mathematics portion of Punjabi lit. One can score the max in this section. Only thing one has to do is to follow the right book. The Books are:
1. Punjabi Bhasha Da Janam te vikas by Dr. Prem Prakash Singh
2. Sidhantak Bhasha Vigyan by Dr. Prem Prakash Singh
These two are available at Lahore Book Depot, Ludhiana
3. Punjabi Bhasha Da Viakaran: Part 1, 2 and 3
There are 4 authors who have jointly authored these 3 parts. Authors are Joginder Singh Pouar, Baldev Singh Cheema, Sukhwinder Singh Sanga, Ved Agnihotri.
All parts are available at New Book Company, Books Market, Jalandhar
4. Panchayak Bhasha Vigyaan By Ved Agnihotri

These books will take of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd part of the section A. Read as maximum as you can from these books. Regarding the fourth part of classical background: nath jogi sahit etc. I relied on notes given by Mitali mam. But I did not prepare it thoroughly and it was prepared for only emergency purposes.

Section B

 1.Modern Trends:
For this part, which is considered to be the most difficult part, I prepared my own notes from many different books by sitting in Library of Punjabi Bhawan, Ludhiana. My notes were so extensive that at the final exam day, I read only my notes and no books were opened for this section.  I have so many quotations about Mystic, Romantic, Progressive, Neomystic, Experimentalist, Aesthetes, Neo- Progressive. I have got these notes here, with me in Rohtak. If someone wants, I can get them scanned and will mail you or will put it on my blog.
Origin and development of Genres:
2. Folk Literature: Folk Songs, folk tales, riddles, proverbs
For this part, I followed:
Punjab di lok dhara by Sohinder Singh Bedi. This book is available at New Book Company, Jalandhar.
3. Epic (Vir Singh, Avtar Singh, Azad Mohan Singh): For this part I prepared notes by getting photo state copies from many books from Punjabi Bhawan. Unfortunately, I do not remember any name of the author. So, you need to visit library to have a look at these books.
4. Lyrics: For this only this book is more than sufficient:
Aadhunik Prageet Shilap: Dr. Thakar Dutt Joshi. This book is available at New Book Company, Jalandhar.
5. Drama, Short Story, Novel: I left this part.
6. Socio cultural influences: Here I relied on Mitali Mam Notes. No further notes by myself were made by me for this.
7. Essay: This question is generally very scoring, if it comes. I followed following books for this:
a) Principal Teja Singh Di Rachna By Bikram Singh Ghuman
b) Teja Singh Di Vartak Kala by Diwan Singh, Bikram Singh Ghuman
c)Professor Puran Singh Di Gad Shelli By Dr. Gurdev Singh
Gurbaksh Singh question was more or less covered from Punjabi Nibandh (Saroop, Sidant te vikas) by Balbir Singh Duggal. This may be followed for all of the 3 authors.

8. Literary Criticism
Here, only book to be followed is
Punjabi Aalochana (Sidhant Te Vihar) By Harbhajan Singh Bhatia. Publisher: GNDU, Amritsar. This book was purchased by me from New Book Company, Jalandhar.
Only Problem with this book is that, it is too difficult to understand. It takes a lot of effort to understand even 1 page. So, my suggestion is to read it at last.

Paper 2
 Here read the basic text book of Nanak Singh, Gurbaksh singh, Balraj Sahni and Gargi and then strictly follow this:

Section A

  1. Sheikh Farid:  Get the steek of Sheik Farid Shalokas written by Bhai Sahib Singh.
  2.  Guru Nanak: Here again follow Steek of Jap ji Sahib, Asa di var and Barahmah written by Bhai Sahib Singh. I must tell you that there are any scholars who have written their steek but for UPSC, the best is by Bhai Sahib Singh. These are available outside any big gurudwara. Also make a habit of reciting these ( Sheikh Farid Shaolkas and Shabad and Guru Nanak’s Bani) daily in the morning. I am saying it not for religious reasons but only for UPSC, where you need to write many quotations.
  3. Bulleh Shah: Kafian
 Here 3 books are important:
a)     Bulleh Shah Kalaam , Edited by Dr. Gurdev Singh, available at Lahore Book Shop, Ludhiana
b)     Kafian Bulleh Shah by T. R. Shingaari. This book is available only outside the Radha Swami Satsang Kendras and not at ordinary Book Shops.
c)      Khoj Patrika published by Punjabi Univ. Patiala. Available scarcely at Punjabi univ or at New Book Company.
  1. Waris Heer: Here books are:
a)     Heer Waris by Jeet Singh Sheetal, Samikhaya by Kulbir Singh Kaang. Arsi Publications, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi. Book is available at new Book Comapany, Jaladhar.
b)     Sahit Samachar: Sufi Kav ank, published by Lahore Book Depot, Ludhiana

 Section B

  1.  For Shah Muhammad follow this book: Jangnama Singh ate Firangian – War Shah Muhammad Edited by Dr. Pritam Saini
  2. Dhani ram chatrik: I left it.
  3. Nanak Singh: I followed Sahit Samachar: Nanak Singh Ank, published by Lahore Book Depot, Ludhiana and available at this shop. Besides that, Khoj Patrika Nanak Singh Ank published by Punjabi Univ. Patiala.
  4. Gurbhakash Singh: I extensively read these 3 books and I was able to designate which para is from which essay of which book. This is the only important problem. The big question was prepared in paper 1 itself.
  5. Balraj Sahni: I read both the travelogues at least twice. The book followed for this is Balraj Sahni –Jeewan te rachna by Amrit Lal Pal- Sangam Publications, available at a shop outside Punjabi Bhawan Library.
  6. Balwant Gargi: I read all the 3 books extensively. The books followed for this question were:
a)     Sultan Razia- Ik Mulakan by Dr. Pritam Saini
b)     Balwant Gargi Di Naat Kala: I forgot the name of author.

  1. Sant Singh Sekhon: I broadly left it. But only for emergency I covered it from book mentioned in Paper 1

Besides these, following books will be helpful
  1. Madh Kaal Di Chonvi Kavita by Pritam Singh. Text book at Punjab Univ. Chandigarh.
  2. Sur Sanvedna By Dr. Satinder Singh. Text Book at Punjab Univ. Chandigarh.
  3. Punjabi Bhasha diyan navintam parvirtiyaan te samasyavaan by Dr. Prem Prakash Singh (From his excerpts of 1981 seminar on Punjabi bhasha: Kuch dishavan) available at Punjabi Bhawan Library, Ludhiana.
  4. Khoj Patrika: Aadunik Kav Ank, available at New Book Company, Jalandhar.
  5. Punjabi Sahit Da Itihaas. This book has three parts: Puratan kaal, Madh Kaal, Adunik Kaal(1901-1995). All are good but the last one is must.

Regarding Previous papers, they are available only from those who are preparing for Punjabi literature. I have last 10 years papers, which if you want, I will send it through email after scanning or will put it on my blog.

Thanks
Your queries are welcome.
May Waheguru G make U an IAS officer.